Here are some tips for keeping your pet safe on Halloween.
Keep your pet inside.
Keep candy away from pets as it can make them sick. Especially treats with xylitol, an artificial sweetener in sugar free foods. Even small amounts of xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs. This tip carries over to include the whole holiday season. Any food that your pet is not used to eating can cause problems.
Make sure your pet has identification in the form of an id tag or microchip in case they get out of the door while you are distracted with trick-or-treaters.
Keep lit candles and jack-o-lanterns out of reach of pets.
If you plan to put a costume on your pet, make sure it fits properly and is comfortable. You do not want the costume to have any pieces that can easily be chewed off or interfere with your pet’s sight, hearing, breathing, or moving. Take the time to get your pet used to wearing the costume before Halloween, and never leave your pet unsupervised while he/she is wearing it.
Keep glow sticks and glow jewelry away from your pets. Although the liquid in these products isn’t likely toxic, it tastes really bad and makes pets salivate excessively.
If your pet is nervous around strangers or has a tendency to bite, put him/her in another room during trick-or-treating hours or provide a safe hiding place.
We hope these tips will help you and your pet have a fun and safe Halloween!